With this being my 3rd class with Alec, I always know what to expect. I also like to explore new tools in education when it comes time to do my summary of learning.
This class is no different. I decided to use an app called WriteReader. I comes with high praises from Common SenseMedia and other reputable software critics. However, I found it to still be lacking in certain areas.
To begin, this app/software enables the youngest of writers to publish their own stories. It is a great tool for kids who love to tell stories. They can use their own pictures or pull from a Google search (which, according to the developers are pictures that are free to use).
One problem I ran into when creating my story for my summary of learning, was I could not insert a page between two pages. My first outline of my story required me to add additional pages to keep my story moving along. However, it would only add pages to the end of the story. After discussions with the developer, they too realized the flaw in this system. So, I had to start over with a paper outline. That was my first frustration.
My second frustration is the limited characters in the writing boxes. It forced me to be concise in my thinking and how I explained my thoughts.
My third frustration with the tech is the recording function. It would work fine for a couple of pages, and then it would simply copy what the previous page’s recording was. After many attempts, hours of trying and re-trying, I finally discovered that I had to re-listen to every recording after I made it and if it began repeating the previous page, I had to leave the program and log back in to start where the repetition began. Finally, it is done. I’m not sure I am ready to share WriteReader with my staff just yet, there are some bugs that need to be ironed out first.
Well – here is my first WriteReader published story. Enjoy!
Thank you for a great semester! And Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!